Monday, May 26, 2008

Memorial day


Each year since 1880 the small rural town I'm from has celebrated Memorial day as a community. We travel to each cemetery in the area, and lay flowers on the graves of soldiers. 

Veteran's, dressed in uniform from their particular area of the service shoot over the graves, and then taps (the song you here now) is played by a lone, hidden trumpet. Afterward, a special service is held to honor those that have died protecting our country, and those who protect it still.  This tradition is really special to my family, because up until a couple years ago when my Grandfather passed away, he too marched the field and shot over the graves dressed in his sharp, blue  Air Force uniform. It was an amazing feeling this year to watch Maddie lay flowers on the graves, knowing that each generation back to my grandmother had done so as a child as well. I feel so blessed to belong to this great nation, and thankful to all those who preserve and protect it. A lot of our family has moved away over the years, but i know they still think about, and miss home at this time so....Buck Valley kids, this is for you. 












8 comments:

Melanie said...

Oh that is so awesome, sounds like a good day for you. Shauna you look great in those pics and like I said before your hair is adorable

Tanner and Andrea said...

Most people will read that and feel nothing... but as I read it, I can't stop crying. I miss home so much lately... and things like that are the reason why- I wish I could have been there soo bad...I can just imagine the day perfectly. I miss the simple life and the simple people. Maddie and Brody are so lucky to be a part of things that we got to do- Those are things I want my kids to experience- Maybe someday hopefully! Ah, I miss you guys so much... I wish you were all here to go through everything with me.. It just doesnt seem real.- Love, A

Joe and Melody said...

Shauna -- these pics are so, so cute! Everyone looks so great! How ironic...you and I were in PA at the same time. I really do love going back and seeing everyone and I especially love the scenery! I really took the green hills for granted while I lived there! Again, the fam looks great. Tell everyone I said hello. P.S. I sent you an email last week and just wanted to make sure you got it. Toota-loo!

Joe and Melody said...

I just tried resending my email to you. I think I had the email address right the first time but maybe the second time's the charm. If not, try sending me an email at mel_chops@yahoo.com. We'll get this thing going!

Kathy's Boys said...

Shauna,
What a neat tradition! Small towns are really great
for things like that. I am from a small town too. We
miss out on some of those things living here, but I
guess there is good and bad no matter where you
choose to live. Maddie looks so grown up in those
pictures. Tell your family hello. It will be fun when
your mom can come and see Andrea and the baby.
Is your grandma coming too? Talk to you soon.

Tanner and Andrea said...

Okay... Im going to say it... Somebody really should have told mom she had lipstick on her teeth.- Just drives me nuts.
Love, me

noelle said...

haha... your sister is too funny. i think your mom looks beautiful! she's always been beautiful... and you look gorgeous as always! maddie's getting to be such a big girl with that long, beautiful hair! oh, how i wish makenna's hair would grow! :(

so yeah. i took a little hiatus from the blogging world. i was trying to... i don't know what i was going to say there. well, in any case, i'm back in full force. i'm sure i'll blog again tonight!!! by the way, i'm a terrible mom. i decided to let bryson play the wii right now just so i could go and post a comment on your blog here... sad.

Danielle said...

oh shauna I loved that so much, Thanks for the time and all you did to put those pictures on there! I thought about that all day on that day and just missed being there so bad! Maddie looked so cute, it doesn't seem that long ago that we were all racing to see who could pick up the most shells! Love you and Thanks Danielle