Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Just admit it...




I love love love to read, and for the past eight years have been trying to get Brent to read just one book, with no success. he doesn't like to read (unless he's on the toilet that is...and even then the material has to be about one of the three-C's...cars cameras or computers.) 

Anyway, when Brent started working in the city a couple years ago, and traveling 3 hours round trip every day to and from work, i changed my persuasions from reading books, to listening to books on CD. Still he wasn't interested, saying that "he just knew he couldn't get into somebody reading something as he drove." Then one day his sister came by saying how she loved books on CD and she used them as she commuted and didn't know what she'd do without them etc.  Finally he agreed to give it a shot (well, obviously because someone other than me mentioned  it) and I was so excited, really hoping that this would make his commute more bearable. 

Each night  i would ask with enthusiasm, "how's the book, do you like it?"  and he'd say, "I don't know, not really, i can't focus ...it doesn't really hold my attention."  And so it went for a few days...until one night i was out late and called to see if everything was okay at home. This is the how the conversation went:

"hey Brent, are the kids asleep..."
"yeah, they went down a little while ago."
"who's that talking?"
"what do you mean"
"i mean, i hear a man, who's talking?" 
"oh that... I'm just outside."
"doing what?"
"oh, just sitting in my car."
'Brent it's like 10:00, what are you doing in your car?"

Then it all clicked... Brent (aka Mr. books on CD are boring and don't hold my attention) was so INTO his book that he snuck out when i wasn't home to listen to it, IN THE CAR...AT HOME... AT 10:00pm. oh my gosh, i seriously laughed so hard i almost peed my pants. 

So Brent, i have only one thing to say 
"i was right...just admit it."

4 comments:

Tanner and Andrea said...

Brent.. You are looking soo skinny.. I can totally tell a difference! Keep up the good work. Oh and yeah- I hate to read too...
Love me

noelle said...

hahahaha... that's so awesome. i love it! yay for brent!

Kathy's Boys said...

That is so funny. I have a ton of books on CD, and Brad listens to them all of time because he's in his car so much. Most of his are church talks , but if Brent runs out of things to listen to and doesn't want to keep buying them, I can send you some. Brent does look skinny! What's up with that. Maybe he's secretly working out (while he's listening to books on tape!)

Justin and Michelle said...

shauna..... throw away the blue polkadot pants... seriously!