For the past six months or so Brent has conned me into watching all sorts of survival shows. Mostly I can say it's been torture. However, I don't mind me some this guy...Bear Grylis. I mean what's not to like really. The guy's cute in a rugged survival man sort of way, he's muscular, and seriously, like the show or not, he totally knows his stuff. I mean, anyone who can live in an elk carcass, that was dead and frozen for like two weeks....is just plain bad***. I don't care who y'are!
As a family we've been working a lot over the past year on our own family preparedness . We're not extremists or anything, don't get me wrong, but we've felt like it was a worthwhile way to spend some time, effort and cash. So...WISH US LUCK!!! This weekend we're trying our first "72-hour kit" survival camp out. Some of Brent's family and mine are getting together and hiking with our packs to the woods. Where we plan to live out of just what's in our kits, as sort of a trial-run to see how prepared we really are.
For years the leaders and prophets of my church have been encouraging us to be prepared for disasters, no matter what they may be... and to get our lives, finances and homes in order. After having children of my own this counsel took on new meaning to me. I remember watching the news after Hurricane Katrina and hearing numerous experts say that if people would had only had something to grab with a three-day supply of food water and clothing in, that many would have survived until help arrived. This is when it hit home to me. I thought of my own children and not being able to care for them in the event of a disaster...all because I wasn't prepared.
We started the drill last night (while families were home) with a phone call to everyone involved, giving them a disaster scenario and telling them they were being evacuated...they then had 10 minutes to get their kits together and by the door. Tonight we'll hike, and set up our own camps as a family (testing out some of our skills), and tomorrow each adult is teaching a workshop on a different area of preparedness.
It's actually been really fun so far, I'm excited to see how the weekend plays out.
Sleeping on the ground at nearly 5 months pregnant isn't on the list of things I care to do right now, but Brent has promised me that if I'm a good little "survival wife" he may sneak me an air mattress;)
Stay tuned...



6 comments:
I need you to live by me! I'm so not ready for a disaster in any way. It's kind of scary. I better get busy! How's the pregnancy going? I had to laugh at your belly picture, you are so tiny still. You're so cute and I love reading your posts.
ok that is seriously SO cool!
I love the giant knife :)Can't wait for details. I went camping with an air mattress before having leland and it was hard good luck! Maybe you could stack some leaves under your sleeping bag.
That is absolutely Awesome!! I would love to have a family emergency drill. WOOOOWWWW!! Fun!
Holy crap!! You are going to carry that big ol pack 5 months pregnant? You are amazing. Our stake just did something like that last weekend. We were supposed to live off our 72 hour kits for Sat, or live without any electricity for the day, or there was something else. I counted camping in July with no electricity or running water as our survival. So I need the update on how you did. It seems fun to try with all your family. We need some nice backpacking packs like you have. Where did you get your?
Oooo, girl. I told Joe about this post and now he's all into it. We might be following in your daring footsteps. Be sure to post on how it all went down.
Post a Comment