So today I decide to venture out and try to do a little Christmas shopping. Well, from past experience I've learned that my kids don't shop well. I don't know if it's the fact that they're just insane, or that i didn't shop much when they were little, and they have no professional "stay in the cart and don't be a brat training," but whatever the case, it's historically been a nightmare. anyway, today I decided it was gonna be different. I didn't leave a base uncovered; naps, food and potty before we left....activities, sketch pads, stickers, sippy cups juice boxes, food, candy, gum, and toys for the stores....SERIOUSLY...anything to distract, occupy and disable, I had it. Unfortunately, apparently my kids HATE me, and five minutes...yes, just five minutes into the first store they were both screaming like we'd been there for 10 hours. Maddie wanted... in the cart, out of the cart, to hold toys, to take toys out of the box, to rip books (that didn't belong to us) to cry, scream, and then to call me a "biggy meany" at the top of her lungs when I finally snapped and told her that she was going to have to "sit AND cry in the freezing car....ALONE...while I finished shopping!" Thankfully Brent's mom (who surprisingly looked very much like an angel at that moment) saw us there and helped me get the little monsters to the car before my mind powers blew them right off the planet.
I know what you're thinking..."get a hold of yourself" right? wrong!!! I'm not even done!!!
So then I go to a store that has one of those retarded cart poles that won't let you leave the store (I mean seriously who's gonna steal a stupid ROSS cart for crying out loud). Anyway, after I hit the top of the door TWO times (nearly giving myself whiplash) trying to get out, I decide that walking around the store for another hour and a half waiting for Brent to drive through on his way home from work, would totally be easier than trying to get my 3 year old, baby (in his 100 pound car carrier), two large bags, coats, scarfs and purse/diaper bag to the car in one piece. I seriously waited there for over an hour just so I didn't have to walk the 100 yards to the car.
So after Brent gets there (and gives me the "I'm sure it was really THAT bad look") he reluctantly takes them both home leaving me free to shop and finally get something done...right? Wrong again. he called me at least 10 times asking me to come home (in a not-so-nice tone) because they were both crying and being awful and he couldn't get either of them to sleep. "oh you poor thing."
So I come right home (0f course), fly in the door (obviously not speaking to Brent) and go in my room to find Maddie in bed, watching a movie at 10:00pm. "Okay, that's it" just as I'm really getting ready to lose it, she looks over at the door and says "momma... there you are...I missed you, and couldn't go to sleep without you...will you rock me?"
oh well, I guess it's really not so bad after all.
10 comments:
I can totally sympathize with you Shauna. But the very end of your story brought me to tears. So sweet and just what Mommy needed. Have a great day. We love you all and missed you at church.
Busting up laughing...when you sent your email yesterday i had some serious high hopes for you; i'm still not successful in my attempts. Oh and men NEVER understand...
Lastnight we left the basketball game at halftime because we were secretly about to blow a gasket (because of the bratty duo), luckily our buddies (we invited them, poor things) wanted to leave too...only positive thing i have to say is "at least the tickets were free"...hmmm
oh I just had a break down moment- I totally have tears in my eyes- I can only imagine the whole situation- but the reason Im crying is because of what Maddie said- I am an emotional basket case- gosh. She is my wittle angel.
you said it. i felt it. the pain was so real. i can't even believe you ventured to a SECOND store. that's so gutsy. you're a champ.
but then how is it that one moment can negate the 50 other horrible things they did right before? i will never understand.
p.s. can you blog a little more often? i'm missing you. i need weekly posts, woman.
Well I am glad you took my advice and decided to finally do a new post. I love it. Stewart was laughing after I got off the phone with you, only because he felt bad for Brent. Men just dont get it. Can you imagine if they were the ones that stayed home while we went to work!! I agree with the whole Ross shoping cart I can so see you hitting the top of the door and then realizing you couldnt get out let me guess you then said "Are you Serious" I miss you please Blog more often
Love ya
Shauna, you should totally write a book!
I would not have gone home! You should have turned your phone off. Our mother's would have never known we were having a meltdown when we were little (pre cellphones). You are a trooper good luck!
Seriously Shauna--you should write for a living or something. I never really read blogs, I just like to look at pics cuz it's fast--but I LOVE to read anything you write, it makes me smile. But this one made me kinda tear up at the end, cuz I've had many of those same days. Good luck next shopping time though.
alright girl, i'm freaking out here. i keep clicking on my buddies sites and when i come back to mine through the link on their pages (and yours) it doesn't pull up my current post...just the baby chow one? ask your tech husband...i need some answers, lol.
I'm still laughing about his post Shauna. I love that I can see it all in my head. I think my kids love shopping ever since Nathan was little and the guy in the mattress store at the mall was telling Nathan to jump on the mattresses. OK, if you insist!! So your next attemp at shopping with two will be never I bet. And yes, you are such a nicer person than I am. I totally would have ignored my phone. At least he came to rescue you and take them home. Seriously though that was so funny. We all have days like that. Your versions are just so dang funny.
Post a Comment