Sunday, February 27, 2011

A baby story...

We got to the hopital bright and early at 6:15am
I got all comfy in my bed and was induced around 8:00am
one last shot in all my pregnant glory
Maddie's artwork for the delivery room
Things to do while in labor: read emails, eat popsicles, flash peace signs, talk to mom, kiss husband.

Speaking of husband... let me share a funny story.
I chose to be induced this pregnancy in order to insure that Brent would be there. Many of you know that his commute is a grueling 5 hour round trip daily, and the thought of him missing the birth of our last;) child, was hardly an option that I could imagine, and so we scheduled an induction. We even chose a day that would mesh well with his work schedule, allowing him to miss days that would be less important etc. Keeping that in mind...
I was induced around 8:00am. Historically my babies come fast. Maddie in 6 hours, Brody in 4. Expectations were high that things would go fast and smoothly. I got my epidural early this time, before I was even having contractions; I would say cramping is more the word. I didn't ask for it, but didn't turn it down either (obviously). After getting it, I stayed dilated to a 3... for 4 hours!! i was totally kicking myself, thinking that I slowed down the labor by getting it early. Everyone, was picking on me, that I was "taking forever." Talk about pressure... even my sister was calling from Las Vegas every 10 minutes telling my mom how depressing the number 3 was turning out to be. So (in their boredom apparently) around 12:45 everyone decided to go to lunch (Brent, my mom and Brent's mom) leaving me in the room alone to sleep.
At 1:10 I awoke to a sharp pain and felt as though I needed to push. Only problem was, I was just checked and was a 3..and there was no one there to tell! My legs of course were numb from the epidural, and I couldn't find my call button anywhere (which turned out to be on the floor)...and EVERYONE WAS AT LUNCH! So i started yelling for my nurse (literally) who didn't hear my until the third yell. Turns out.. it was showtime, and Brent wasn't there. I held off pushing and kept telling the nurse..my husband has to be here..."WE MADE SPECIAL ARRANGMENTS!!!" Luckily my mom left her cell number just in case...but didn't answer it because she didn't recoginize the number (and this was my support team?) lol.
The baby was born 10 minutes and 3 pushes later. He made it just in time.


Introducing... Marley Grey Fishel. Born at 1:29pm. Weighing in at 6.0 pounds, 18 1/4 inches long.
Isn't she beautiful? Being that she was only in the birth canal for about 10 minutes...everything looked just perfect when she came out.
we're so in love
I can't believe she's mine. There was a bit of a disconnect for me this pregnancy. I didn't really feel pregnant. Strange I know; but life was busy, and taking care of two other kids didn't leave alot of time to sit around and day dream or read baby books. Having her in my arms here, after the easiest labor on earth, just felt completely surreal. I just feel so blessed.
she looks a lot like Maddie in the nose and mouth don't you think?

long toes
her brother and sister seem to be just as in love with her as we are
special thanks to Amy for caring for my little monkey's while we were in the hospital. I'm so thankful for you.
me and my girls
How (perfect) funny is this picture?
proud daddy
Going home

Marley is so TINY. She was 5 10 when we left the hospital. her head is the size of a large orange.


She and her Grandpa Fishel share the same birth date! Hopefully she counts as his birthday present this year (oops).



Yep...we're all this excited.

I always worry about bringing home a new baby. What will things be like. How will the dynamic change. What will happen to the routine, the workload. What will emotions be like?
I'm proud to say...so far so good. I feel really great (for just having a baby), and things are pretty much running smoothly round these parts. We'll see what the coming days and weeks bring but for now...life is just sweet.

Thank you to everyone for everything; We feel really blessed and loved.

20 comments:

Hilarie said...

Congratulations! I was so excited to see the update! And you know I LOVE the name: Marley has a special place in my heart and Grey is just lovely, so classy. She is a beautiful and lucky girl! Love to you and the fam!
Hilarie

Justin and Michelle said...

Shauna,

She is perfect in every way. So petite and beautiful. I can't wait to meet her! I love the family picture-so funny...And by the way, you are glowing in all these pictures! Congratulations!!! Love you!

Unknown said...

So much congratulations to you & your family, from us! She is absolutely adorable! I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE her name! What an amazingly beautiful family you have! Miss you all! Congrats again!

Becca said...

Congratulations! I'm glad everything went well. Now it my turn for goodness sake!! Tomorrow is Mike's dad's b-day so maybe that's what he is waiting for.

Melanie said...

Congrats she's beautiful!! Glad your Special arrangements work out and Brent made it ;) what a stunning family you have!!
Lots of luv

Tanner and Andrea said...

She's beautiful... I've loved nothing more than watching her on iChat lately. This makes me so excited for whats coming my way.
Give her a kiss for me :)

Brett and Amanda said...

i love the name marley! so cute, and it goes so good with your other kids' names!
she is seriously so tiny-looking and adorable!
glad to hear things are running smoothly (as smoothly as they can with a new baby, anyway).
and now i can stop obsessively checking your blog for pictures every hour...i'll tone it down to maybe twice a day.
oh yeah, and you look so good in all these pictures!

Kaylie said...

Congrats you guys! She is beautiful and I love her name!

Coty said...

She really is so beautiful (and tiny) and you are right, from what I can tell she looks a lot like Maddie so far; which means you have another beautiful daughter on your hands!
You look fabulous in your pictures, and you guys look great as a family of FIVE!!! Coolness.
Get your strength up and enjoy your new bundle, Congratulations to all of you!


Ps love Brody's enthusiam, too cute!

Joe and Melody said...

Congrats, Fishel Family! She is so precious and so beautiful. I'm so happy for y'all and the new addition! Many smooches I'm sending your way.

Ah Loe said...

She is just beautiful and so tiny! I agree, I see a lot of Maddie! You have lots of fun to look forward too :) I love to see the joy in siblings faces over the "new" addition to families. I hope things continue going smooth for you! Congrats again!

Airyele Rounds said...

I just got Fluttery Happiness in my heart seeing this post. She is so cute!! I mean she just looks perfect. Your delivery was just so perfect, and I am so happy for you. Her name is just too cute. :)
So Happy for you and your family. You are blessed. I have been thinking about you and your family wondering the details for the past 4 days.
Delivery for my baby girl has been scheduled April 25th - Scheduled C-Section.
Take Care, and God Bless.
I am literally around the corner if you need anything. SERIOUSLY! :)

Missy said...

What a beautiful bundle of baby goodness! Marley is so cute I can't even stand it!! And I LOVE her name, just perfect!

The Hicks of Kentucky said...

CONGRATS!! I am so glad to hear things went pretty smoothly. And I am glad Brett got there in time! Tell the Fishel family I said hi!! It has been so long since we have been in Martinsburg, I do miss that family.

Congrats again!! She is BEAUTIFUL!

Joel and Chelsey said...

Congratulations! I am so happy that things went fast and smooth. Marley is beautiful! I love the pictures of the fruit, and her sweet little head--you would have to add a cantaloupe to find Luke's big melon in that lineup! lol. I so wish I was right there to come and hold your sweet new baby. Hopefully I will get to see her soon! Love from across the border.

Unknown said...

Congratulations! Love the name Marley. I love reading your blog, it brings a smile to my face. Isn't it great that your support team leaves you in your moment of need.

Kelly R said...

The update to your blog is awesome! I must say that Marley is even sweeter in person! I feel blessed to have held her in my arms. To quote the lyrics to "Three Little Birds" by another Marley "Don't worry about a thing...cause every little thing gonna be alright"
(Brent do you know that song?) You now have your own "Three Little Birds to nest with! Enjoy! Love You Kelly

danielle said...

How sweet! She is Beautiful! Congratulations!

Charissa & Don Bishop said...

love the name, love the pictures, love the story!! Congratulations!

Traxler's said...

Marley is absolutely beautiful!
Congratulations!
Love,
Eddie & Emily