Tuesday, February 15, 2011

bedroom makeovers.

I've cried to you before about how small my house is, so I won't do that again...wait a minute....."WAAHHHHHHH sniffle sniffle".... okay it's out of my system.

The reality is, since we haven't sold our house yet, I'm bringing home yet another child (that makes three, for those of you that have lost count;) to my two-bedroom house (shoot me now). So the challenge was, to make the room that Maddie and Brody currently share (which hasn't been touched since B was born) into a gender neutral, yet attractive and functional place for three kids. I've been holding off showing pictures because there are a few more things that I want to do to each room... but... my time is running out. Soon it will be baby-blogging only. That's just the way it works.

This is what we started with. Kinda pathetic I know, but I lost ambition to do any decorating in there after in fact a boy and girl were sharing a pink room... know what I'm sayin'). Lets hope there are no long term effects; Poor Brody.

Then my Brent went to work, approximately four weeks ago...
doesn't he look thrilled...
and I started piecing together inspiration pieces for bedding, curtains and details...
and this is what we came up with! (sorry the lighting is really crappy)
I had the fabric shipped to my cousin Jess, and she made the lovely curtains (as the fabric was too expensive for me to screw up).
The crib bedding was bought from a decorator/blogger lady that I follow that was updating her baby room to a big-boy room. I ask her about it and surprisingly she sold it to me! I loved the gender neutral-ness of it, AND the linen bed skirt (every room needs linen). She had it custom made.

The art work was made in Photoshop. Some by my sister (thanks Andrea) and some by Brent.
I bought the ABC's on etsy.
Bunks beds are from an online company. I wanted something simple. Dresser and bookcase I actually bought new from Ikea. I don't usually go for new pieces, but the room had to be functional and hold A LOT of stuff. It was the only way to go in this case. There couldn't be any antique dressers with drawers that didn't push in well:(
that being said, a lot of the details are still from the Good Will:) like the metal yellow lamp.
The bookcase is pretty much a hodge podge of toys and books and junk, but like I said, functionality is key in this case. Because I took out the toy box, kitchen set and other toys, the kids have been forced to use the baskets on the bottoms for the favorite toys. They're allowed to change them out whenever they want, to whatever they want, but it has to fit in the baskets. It was the only way to make the room work for three people, and it actually eliminates a lot of the stuff they never played with from the space.


This is one of my favorite parts of the room; the little book nooks in each child's bunk area. They love them and I think they add a lot of character. The racks are actually spice racks from Ikea and were $3.99! The lamps are also from Ikea and were $14.00.

Brent likes a particular baby name (which has been blotted out to keep you in suspense;). He made this for me with the name on and framed it. Think he was trying seal the deal? hmmm.
This is Maddie's artwork, which will be hung above the crib with some other stuff she did just as soon as I get a chance.
This is what a closet looks like that three kids will share. So for all you divas out there with a walk-in closet in each child's bedroom...I officially hate you. Lets hope the baby never grows over 20- inches long.
I made these pillows, and in case you didn't know I'm not very handy with a sewing machine, so these happen to by my pride and joy of the room;)





On to our room. I'm almost embarrassed to show a "before". After I finished the kids room, I couldn't stand to look at ours. We started it last week and finished it last night. I was going for something casual yet elegant, with a bit of a hotel feel. My favorite part would have to be the color, a classy browish-gray...and the white bedding...oh oh oh, and the linen lamp shades, like I said, every room needs some linen. I haven't hung anything up yet, as far as pics or art, but otherwise I think I'm done. Just in time to crap it up with baby gear.


after:
I haven't gotten pillows yet for my Euro-shams, but I have three of them to put in the back of all the other pillows, in the white and espresso bedding.


Thanks for acting interested in the blow by blow;) it's sorta been consuming me lately, and I couldn't narrow down pics.
Now...onto baby business.

16 comments:

Traxler's said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE your room makeovers! You and Brent did an amazing job. I think I am going to have to copy some of your ideas in my house. Love the spice rack that you made into a book shelf...so adorable!
Love, Emily

Amanda said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brett and Amanda said...

Oh. My. Gosh. Both rooms look SO beautiful! i am so impressed at how completely workable you made the bedroom for 3 kids. it looks AWESOME and is super cute and functional. you guys did such an awesome job. wow. i'm pretty much in shock...but when it wears off, i'll promptly be stealing half your ideas. i LOVE the book nooks. AHHH so perfect.

Coty said...

Ah, looks even better the second time around (or third or fourth:) never gets old. I'm so happy you went for it, you'll feel so much better about everything looking classy and clean amid all the diapers and vomit ;) Get ready Mama!
I bet maddie is pleased as punch to contribute her art for above the baby bed. Sweet.

Okay, write when you can and we'll discuss what you still need before iffy bitty gets here.

Ps the hubs came home last night with EL fudge cookies and spicy nacho doritos... That was breakfast this morning :( so much for my run....

The Denning 6 said...

Shauna!!! Wow, you guys have been busy! I love everything!! It looks awesome! For fitting 3 children in one room, I think you guys did a FANTASTIC job:) The bunk beds were the way to go...great space saver:) Miss you all! Can't wait to meet that new precious little girl:) Love you all!
Jen

Airyele Rounds said...

Oh. My. Gosh! Very Very Cute!! Will you come makeover my house?? LOL - We have 3 bedrooms, and 1 bathroom. Just around the corner from you. We just have so much 'STUFF' that I want to save for our next home and it's consuming our SPACE!!!
Your house is AmAzInG!!

Ah Loe said...

Your rooms look beautiful and so functionaly! I love the white in the kids. I love the idea of a spice rack and the lamps attached to the wall may have to copy that. YOu are such a talented decorator. I told you I needed help. Maybe a couple months down the road, after baby when you are bored and in the area! The closet is great! did you just add extra rods? I need to do the same in the girls room! Take care! Good luck!

Unknown said...

Looks great. you did such a good job of combining function with form and made it look good at the same time.

The Hicks of Kentucky said...

You did such a GREAT job!! I am so impressed! And you are such a trooper dealing with a 2 bedroom with going on 3 kids. I am obsessed with organization, and I LOVE the way you organized the kids room! I wish my sister in law would be willing to see and read your blog. She doesn't stop complaining about her 2 bedroom house and having to have 2 kids (both boys) in it! Bla! Anyway, you're just plain awesome! Great job on the room!

Tanner and Andrea said...

I know I've seen it over and over- but I totally love it.
Love the B pillow ;) This has been so fun decorating our baby rooms together... I wish I could say that for our master bedrooms. :( mines on the back burner...
But yours is just lovely...

Summer said...

I saw the first comment and thought, wait did I already make a comment on this blog post? You beat me to it, Emi! But I second everything my lovely sister-in-law said - super cute and practical idea of spice rack to book nook and I think your bedding, wall color and nightstand lamps look oh so good together! Did you put Maddie's old rug and toy chest in the basement or sell them?

Unknown said...

Love the new look!!! Such an accomplishment to organize everything into 1 room for all 3 kids!! You guys did an amazing job! I love the art on the walls, and the closet, and EVERYTHING!!!

Charissa & Don Bishop said...

Hey Shauna- everything looks awesome! We have 3 bedrooms with 4 kids, so I am totally into the organizing, because our bedrooms aren't too big. Anyway, we are wanting to repaint our bedroom. Can you let me know what the color was that you used in your master bedroom?? Thanks

Joel and Chelsey said...

Hey there--glad to see you've entered the crazy pregnant lady phase of things. Just kidding! It looks great! And you know Brody is totally down with living in a harem of women--he told me so. Sorry to miss your shower--oh my gosh! the kids b-ball schedule is taking over my life! Hope to see you soon--either before or after you pop. What's your name choice?

Hilarie said...

You always do such a nice job putting all your fabulous ideas together. The room looks lovely!
One of these days, I am going to hire you as my interior designer/consultant.
Now sit back and relax before baby arrives. Can't wait to hear all about it!
Love to you and the family,
Hil, Lil, Frank, and Phinn

Kathy's Boys said...

It looks amazing and like I've said before...you should be a writer for a magazine or something. You write totally cute and I always love reading your blog. Now, good luck with your delivery and I'll be prayin' that it all goes great. I'm so excited to meet your new baby girl.
Love to you all.