Thursday, April 22, 2010

DPOI

Disney Movies. People always look at me in disbelief, but even as a child I didn’t like them. I had only ever seen about three (how’s that for a demented childhood) but even at that I wasn’t impressed, what with all their long songs and delusional happy endings; please. In fact I can still vividly remember standing in front of my TV as an 9 year forwarding through each and every song on “Beauty and Beast” thinking, “man who has time for this crap…”

When my first born graced the world, I said out loud on numerous occasions…”my child will never wear anything with a Disney character on it”…why feed the beast I thought. Tacky too. I even secretly smiled inside when someone at church was stunned that my 3 year-old “very girlie” daughter didn’t know who the Disney princesses were.

Well people, things have changed, and life as I know it has become… one big ride on Cinderella’s pumpkin. And now…sadly, it’s not "designer" in this house baby if it doesn't have one of these ladies on it.


grimacing isn't it?


...and so when the opportunity came to go with our cousins to DPOI...that's "Disney Princesses on Ice," for those of you who aren't on your "magical" pumpkin ride yet.

I caved to all things Disney.

Do we have the cutest little princesses you've ever seen or what? The anticipation at this point was almost too much for these guys to handle. It was so fun seeing their excitement.

The show was really fun, beautiful and amazing...quite a production. Even if paired with my other unfavorite thing of all time, ice skating (ugh).

\

Maddie wore a wedding dress. For some reason it didn't cross my mind (surprise) that anyone would dress up, so I didn't take anything (to Hershey). Luckily, our cousins had an extra wedding dress around from Halloween. Turns out it was perfect. At the end, all of the princesses come out in white wedding dresses with their princes. I saw maddie look down proudly at her dress several times and stick her chest out. She told me "she saw all the princesses looking at it." I of course agreed.

I have to admit that it was pretty amazing. The whole show maddie was completely enthralled. She literally never took her eyes off the stage.

I wished for a moment that I was that age and could see it all through her little eyes; everything being so magical and real. And if I'm being honest...when Cinderella came down the steps and got her prince...I might have even shed a tear or two.

...and when the princesses said goodbye at the end...I might have even shed a few more...(okay I was full-on bawling).


and so the moral of the story is...again...

"I eat my words; I was wrong;

kids transform your life...

Disney Is Great!"

11 comments:

Brett and Amanda said...

absolutely LOVED this post! i'm looking forward to all the things i swore i'd never let piper do or wear or play with...
and that show looks seriously magical!

Joel and Chelsey said...

Admit it--you werre secretly wishing that one of those tiara's came in your size! Lauren has never been into the dress ups, but Claire is already spending her mornings glam-ing up with every accessory in the house. Thanks for the glimpse into my future. :)

brent said...

...and where was Dad during all of the Princess fun you ask? At home working from sunrise to sunset. Ah...a day of power tools and rock n' roll is just what a Dad needs sometimes!

Shaun - I'm glad you are able to live the normal "princess" childhood through Maddie :)

Hilarie said...

I used to feel that way too, but I caved way sooner -- can't believe you held out this long! :o) And then you didnt even start slow, you just throw yourself into the deep end! Welcome friend! Miss you guys!

noelle said...

this might be my favorite post ever. ever, ever, ever. sweet maddie. she is adorable and feisty like her mama. and what is wrong with me that I ACTUALLY TEARED UP A LITTLE just reading about YOU tearing up? i've got issues.

Tanner and Andrea said...

what the heck. no way- im sticking to my no disney moto. ha
ok so i always tell tanner we never watched disneys- when someone asks something about a disney movie, i never know what anyone is talking about- i'm glad there's two of us... i feel pretty cool too.
:) love me.
oh and maddie looks beautiful (i teared up looking at the pictures of her- she is getting so big)- wish i had a little girl to take with all you guys... looks so fun!

Anonymous said...

Man I am totally jealous I want to take Lily so bad! I guess I better start googling it.

Coty said...

Too funny!
What a great post. I hear ya on the "kids change everything"... I NEVER thought I'd cave to character shirts. wrong. I'm drowning in Spider-man shirts over here. (by the way, i too got nothing done today).
I'll write later....

love ya

Ah Loe said...

So glad you like Disney now, I always have, my kids do, the show looked amazing!

Melanie said...

Maddie is so darling and I love that you cried at Dinsey on Ice only you :) luv ya

Justin and Michelle said...

Shauna, Maddie looks beautiful! We miss her a lot! She's getting SO big! Love you guys.