Truth is, I never thought I'd be one of those mothers that let her child have a binky until she was three. I vowed in fact that the day she turned two it was gone...I would just throw it away or cut the tip off or do something equally cruel without giving it a second thought. she only used it at night anyway so clearly it wouldn't be a problem right? WRONG? Two came and went, and so did three and still every night the "dapa" was a permanent fixture on her face.
We started preparing her about 6 months ago by talking about how there was a "DAPA fairy" who would come one night and take all her dapa's to the babies in the world that didn't have any, and leave her something special in return. She seemed okay with the idea, but i wasn't convinced that she clearly got the concept. then last week i was sure she didn't get the concept when i asked her what special gift the dapa fairy should bring, and she responded with...hmmm, how about a Dapa...for big girls."
Anyway, last week we went to her first dentist appt and the dentist talked with her about it. so obviously, as any good mother would do, i surmised that this was completely my chance... to blame it on someone else!
I was so worried about it, honestly like a mess. i was expecting "weaping wailing and gnashing of teeth." how could i take something from my little girl that she loved so much, that gave her comfort and made her feel safe. I imagined the long nights rocking her while she cried, the heart ache i would feel when she couldn't sleep, the look in her eyes when i told her it was gone for good...
well to make a long story short...we took it that very night, and she DIDN'T say a thing...fell asleep in like 10 minutes. oh my gosh are you kidding me. i almost died...i worried endlessly over this and that was it...nothing... she slept while i cried! amazing i tell, just goes to show parents will never have it figured out. My little girl never ceases to amaze me.
Maddie's first dentist appt...we basically learned that her teeth are totally jacked due to the dapa, and that she needs a palatal expansion!! what!!
putting ribbons on the dapa's...for all the babies in the world ya know.
8 comments:
Kids and there bekees Owen was the exact same way and Ethan could care less about them go figure
when brent called dave back and told him what you guys were in the middle of a dapa fairy phone call last night we just thought - man, we had no idea about the dapa fairy, how many other fairies are there that we don't know about?!
To cute! What a neat idea. I am just totally mean. I tied their binkie to a door knob, so if they wanted to use it they had to stand near the door. That did not last long. :) Take care.
ours was the "nigh nigh" and (when we took it away) leif would wander around like a lost pup asking "nigh nigh, nigh nigh?" it was horrible and i too cried and cried...
then he came out of it leaching on to the "tay tay"...his teddy bear, i'll post about it someday, it's a sight to behold.
anyway, sounds like maddie came through it with flying colors, Yahoo!!!
and good job to mama as well ;)
I have never had success with a dapa. Lil wouldn't take it and Norah wouldn't either. I am convinced that Norah would sleep through the night if she had one... Oh wait she does, ME! My next baby you will have to help me give a Binky to, I need help.
wow, love it. that dapa fairy. sly move, mama.
Oh my gosh Shauna--3 years old. I was worried about Elle being too old--we just took her binky away about a month ago (18 months) & Chaden kept saying if we didn't it would hurt her teeth. I never believed him, but after your blog I do. What is a palatal? Anyway--it was definitely all me with the binky, I was the one holding on to it & when we took it away Elle did just fine! Good job Shauna!
I dont care what you say- Im totally letting Maddex have his binky until he is 12. :) and I am letting him sleep with me forever and ever...I just never want him to get bigger.
Post a Comment