Monday, March 15, 2010

on "having a baby"

Tomorrow is my first O.B appointment. I always have this certain feeling at the beginning of a "baby journey (is that so from TLC or what) that teeters between sheer happiness and sheer dread. You know what I mean? That feeling of "Wow, we're having another baaaabbbbyy"and "WOW WE'RE HAVING ANOTHER BABY?"

To be honest we weren't expecting things to happen quite so quickly (but what else do you do in the middle of a blizzard...i'm just sayin'. lol. TMI) and it just doesn't seem real; hasn't sunk yet. Plus, this first six weeks have been odd. I don't have a lot of my normal symptoms that come from hormonal chaos...that of puking incessantly, crying at every off-color thing Brent says, and wanting to die by 5:00pm. Nope... I'm just tired. In fact I've now taken 4 pregnancy tests (that's about 35 bucks worth if you're interested) just to make sure I'm really pregnant. Is there something wrong with me?
My friend ask me recently "what I was feeling and what sort of emotions I was experiencing," and a strange thing happened...I couldn't come up with anything! Yep...I basically feel nothing at the moment. It's a weird time in your child bearing career when you've made it to that place where you don't dream about nurseries, or mobiles, or scented lotions anymore. When it becomes more about the not so nice things, like getting huge, delivery, and bringing home a baby to your (too small) home and other children who strangely resemble huge monsters. oh, and then there's that awkward emotionally devastating time where you think you may actually die from sleep deprivation and hormonal overload.

How can I be there with only two children? I like to think it's because I'm a practical, well oiled machine, completely down to earth and real about what the next 14 months (or so) will bring. So here's to being real...to being happy, exited, scared, anxious, sad, crazy, ugly, beautiful, in love and to every other emotion and feeling that comes with this miracle called "having an baby."

I'm ready. I think.

9 comments:

Joel and Chelsey said...

I love that you took 4 tests--I did that when I found out I was pregnant with Dallin. It was such a shock after the team of experts it took to get me pregnant with Lauren. I've decided that's why pregnancy lasts 40 weeks--it's to give you plenty of time to experience ALL the emotions. Not just freak-out, but the excitement and wonder of it all. Looking at myself this morning, I'm honestly amazed that I can be this HUGE, and still hold out a hope of being reasonably normal sized again in a few. Glad our little journeys are overlapping.

Missy said...

Great post! I have a feeling that there will be LOTS of babies born this year in the VA/WV area with Oct/Nov birthdays. ;-)
Good luck!

Joe and Melody said...

Great post, Shauna! Please document EVERYTHING with blog posts. Joe & I will probably be jumping on this baby-making bandwagon soon enough and I need lots of advice and knowledge. So excited for you!

Brett and Amanda said...

loved this post! i love your honesty about it all! and that you took 4 pregnancy tests haha

Kathi said...

Congratulations! :)

The Mitchell's said...

Congrats Shauna! I'm so excited for you to have another bbbaaabbbyyy!!! I love babies:) So how many weeks are you? love ya

Anonymous said...

I feel like Baby #3 there is no time to be sick and tired. Maybe that is why you aren't. Seriously though how fun is life? And don't worry about space Lee and I kept the baby in our room for 5 months and it was ok. Now we just embrace our lack of space. Keep us posted!

Tanner and Andrea said...

i'm still so excited! although you really did throw a dent in our plans of being pregnant together... gosh- just little upset you didn't wait so we could be huge and throwing up together. ah, i can't wait for those days again. lol
can't wait to come home soon... love ya

noelle said...

thanks for all your comments. you know i love you. but i've had company and i've been super sick and super tired. for the same reason that you might be extremely tired and maybe sick. :/ i'm due towards the end of october. and you? what's your due date?