Wednesday, March 24, 2010

hooked on houses

I like to take drives. Sometimes when Brent gets home at night, and I can't stand being in the house for another minute I just grab my keys and go. I never stop anywhere and rarely get out of the car...I just drive, windows down, music up, heat on...all alone...ahhh.

I usually leave around dusk. That way I can see in everyones houses as i go by. There's something about being able to look into people's houses that thrills me. does that
make me a peeping tom? whatever.

If I am a peeping tom I'm not the kind that are interested in seeing people...I'm more interested in...say.... what woodwork looks like, are there built-in's? How have they decorated? Is there a beautiful staircase? and so on. As I've said before I absolutely love houses.

I got word the other day at the park, amongst some mother's that were chatting, that one of my favorite houses in the area will be going up for sale this spring. Its a lovely little colonial, in a great neighborhood that sits on a couple acres of ground. It reminds me of a home you might find in Martha's Vineyard. The drive way is lined with huge oak trees, and the wood siding is stained the most lovely shade of green. AND... despite my utter hatred of birds it has a beautiful weather vane on top that I've often considering stealing.

(unfortunately on this particular drive-by the owner was raking in the front yard and i couldn't get a good shot. how dare her huh?)

Since learning of this, much to my nature, I've done a least ten (okay 20) drive-bys.
I stop briefly in front and daydream about the lay-out, how I would decorate and landscape and because it's an older home, what walls I would have to knock down to make it the home of my dreams (mind you, I've never actually seen the inside..minor detail).

In fact, during drive-by #15 or so the other day I was so involved in daydreaming about this house that I smashed into the mailbox across the street from it as I was turning around...smashed it right to the ground. Stupid tupperware mailboxes. I initially put a note on the door, but then stood it up and put it back together nicely myself and decided that they didn't really need to know. Is there something wrong with me? and if you have to ask yourself that in every blog you post...do you really need to keep wondering?

Anyway, I was reading one of my favorite blogs the other day "hooked on houses" and ran across this checklist, (that I may as well have written) it made me laugh that there are others out there like me (well probably not quite like me. I'm weird;)


Are you Hooked on Houses? Give yourself a point for each of the following statements that you agree with:

  • If there’s a “For Sale” sign in my neighbor’s yard, I can tell you how much they’re asking for their house–and whether it’s worth it.
  • I have a habit of checking the real estate listings online, even though I’m not planning to move.
  • I think the best time to take a walk is at dusk–after people have started turning on their lights, but before they have closed their blinds!
  • I’ve been known to visit Open Houses and model homes, just for fun.
  • I will stop to take a photo of a beautiful house if I have a camera with me.
  • When I visit someone’s home, I immediately start looking around to see what changes they’ve made since the last time I was there.
  • I get upset when I see a beautiful old home that looks neglected and unloved, and I fantasize about “rescuing” it.
  • I would go to a neighbor’s party just to get a look inside their house.
  • I have considered becoming a real estate agent, or have been told I should be one.
  • I’ve been known to check out the local house listings when I’m on vacation to see how much it would cost to live there.
  • If I drive through a pretty neighborhood, I slow to a crawl so I don’t miss anything.
  • I’m always redecorating my house. It’s never “finished.”
  • There are certain movies I have watched repeatedly because of the houses featured in them.

10 comments:

Brett and Amanda said...

ok i actually laughed out loud when i got to the mailbox part.

Becca said...

Maybe you should be a decorator, you'd be really good at it. (and it would get you in people's houses :0)
p.s. do you ever stop by my blog? I'll post pictures of my house :0)

noelle said...

you nut. i love you. and i'd probably be riding in that car with you.

Joel and Chelsey said...

I'm totally hooked on houses too! Although I also visit open houses for the free cookies--is that so wrong! Next time drive on over and get me--I'm always up for cruising around. I'll take you to my new favorite deli--it's this great little place... :)

Tanner and Andrea said...

i couldn't agree more. i'm bad... i look at houses in different states. the other day i was looking in georgia... ah, they have pretty homes... oh and chicago- they have some of the best homes. too bad all the homes i love- aren't where i live. i love east coast homes.. there is just something about them. no one gets it... everyone here is trying to make there homes like them... i have a great idea- how about just build them like east coast homes... but no... now if i buy a house- i have to do it all.. wood floors, baseboards, crown molding, large windows, custom doors... ah, i just want to live next door to you. is that ok?
oh and i had almost all of them on the checklist- other than... i don't look to see what poeple have changed in their home... that is just wierd.

Tanner and Andrea said...

oh and by the way... the house in the movie... alvin and the chipmunks... is one of my favs.

Shauna said...

oh i like that one too, my favorite movie house is the one from "Something's Gotta Give"...absolutely to die for. love every inch of it.

Joe and Melody said...

I literally laughed out loud SEVERAL times in this blog post. And that's not a good thing ... cause I'm at work. LOL. But I love this tell-all side of you. I've never known about the secret world of people 'hooked on houses' but I think I'm ready to join. You're pure inspiration to me. And side note, I love the house in Something's Gotta Give as well. But check out the new movie It's Complicated. Love that house too!

Charissa & Don Bishop said...

A great website for realestate in the tri-state area is www.homesdatabase.com. It always has great pictures and I just really like the website. I was just looking at the real estate section this morning to see if there were any open houses in my neighborhood. While I have no plans to move, like you, I just enjoy looking at houses and getting new ideas for my home

Kelly R said...

You my dear friend are neurotic!!! And I so miss being around you at work! You know in a neighborhood like that they probably have you on their security system and when you become their neighbor one day they will give you the tape as a house warming gift!!!!